View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
When I was in the military I did it to feed my family and serve our country. I can assure you my life was at risk at times. I don't say this for any kind attaboy, just as an example. Many people risk personal safety for the same reasons. A tip is a gratuity, a gift, of appreciation. If service depends upon how much is tipped, then that's a problem. They have a job to do and it should be done to the best of their ability regardless of a monetary "thanks". What kind of person accepts a gift and grumbles because it isn't good enough?
I would totally agree if it weren't for the fact that the required tipped employee wage in Kansas and many other states is $2.13 per hour. The restaurant owner must make up the difference if the total of tips and pay is less than $7.45 per hour (but you can't live as a single on that let alone have a family). One of the reasons I retired as a full time RVer is that we pay our employees an average of $15 per hour plus a retirement match and pay most of their Blue Cross, but I'm universally hated by the Kansas Restarant Association because we do and sleep well at night because of it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote