View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I was 'blessed' to be in Yellowstone when they had the huge record setting fire. Actually was lucky - we had reservations to meet family for about 3 days and they were there 5 days. They closed the park for a few days, opened it the day before we were to get there and again closed it the day we left!!! Talk about good timing.
Anyway, we went sight seeing one afternoon with brother in law and niece (with asthma). She was spoiled and drug her feet while shopping in the late afternoon. The road south of Old Faithful had signs saying it closed at 9 pm. Other niece was working there and said they actually never closed it all week. This day they DID close it. We got the last room around 10 or 11 pm at a hotel near Fishing bridge. We were about to check in and a guy came in and said they opened the center cross road in the middle of park. So we take off (no asthma stuff for niece so kind of important) and head to Old Faithful. We drove south from the junction and flames were completely covering a mountain about 1/4 mile away. And a few trees along the road were engulfed in flames!!! I wasn't worried until I figured out it was dark, smokey, with little visibility. So if a tree fell on the road we would have to do a U turn in a road that is about 25 feet wide to go back. Well we made it and didn't burn up, thank goodness. (but our cabin we stayed in did burn later on)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500