View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #17
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
I am also in the FT worth area. I use electric oil heaters as a supplement to the gas heater. I set the gas furnace at about 70. This gave me the right balance gas/electric heat to keep all running, until the power went out. I then had to get the genny out. I had to lower the heat down to 62 on the gas heater because the genny would only run half the rig. Was running 2 oil heaters at medium setting and fireplace at low at 73. I would have been fine but forgot to switch the heated water hose over to the genny, DOH. I only lost the water hose throughout the cold weather but it did not break. This weather would be a regular Minnesota storm, so I was prepared, just need to remember to move all electric over to the genny next time. The tanks valves did freeze so i will have to look at what happened there. Before the storm I got weather striping around a small water hose from the filter to the unit, insulation on my outside dual filter and inside a Styrofoam cooler. In the convenience center I also used insulation in the round hole in the bottom and in where I took out the keytv to hookup my satellite. The convenience center stayed warm throughout.

Note they do have aftermarket electric to add on to your gas heater. I am looking into getting one because I will most likely always be plugged in.