View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #20
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We do use room heaters and try to preserve our propane. While in the basement with the doors shut there is a large amount of cold air blowing on the pipes from an opening below the sub structure (where the holding tanks are). I’m going to have to stuff that full of insulation and insulate behind the panel.
This is exactly what we had and pipes froze the first cold night with our 3731FL
As I removed the panel to access behind the convenience panel I noticed light coming in below. There was gaps in the j-wrap right below the plumbing and I could feel a nasty draft of cold air rushing in. I stuffed a chunk of foam between the frame and j-wrap, blanket insulation will get wet and fail. I had bought a block of 4 inch thick foam at Hobby Lobby that's used to make pillows and cut out a plug for the hole where the hose comes in. I used the left over for this fix. Since that time I have had no more problem with it. I kept a remote thermometer in that area for the rest of that winter and the temp never went below 60 after that. On ours the furnace is right in that area, it just couldn't keep up with that cold air blasting on the pipes until I plugged the hole. I have not had any problem since and have not used any kind of additional heat in the basement. We are now in our fourth winter.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote