View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #20
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
WOW, those are really cold temperatures., I live in Canada on the west coast and we had everything freeze up this winter (coldest ever) at -10C. That is +14F so I can not relate to the temps you are talking about. The underground supply lines froze up since they didn't bury them deep enough so we switched to internal tanks and they froze up even with 12V heaters on, 1500W heater blowing hot air into the belly at -10C/14F. Plan C was 4 of the 3 gal water jugs filled in the owners house.
That's usually blizzard temps when a front drops down from Canada.
Tank heaters don't keep the tank water line from freezing, or even tanks from getting big blocks of ice in them. They do seem to keep the tanks from breaking from the ice, and they thaw out a little quicker once it warms up again.

I keep a full 5 gallon jug or two around in the winter myself.

Things go pretty well down to around 15F degrees. You don't have to do much if it warms up during the day. But below that you just try to keep things from breaking. I keep a light on in my water works box, a heater on medium in the small area where my water hoses are (low heat doesn't work), and I don't fill up the water tank to the top.
When the ice blocks off the black tank so I can't dump... I have to switch to a portable emergency toilet for a couple weeks. That's the worst part.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote