View Single Post
Old 03-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Foldbak - thanks for the files. We've only had our 22 model HC out twice since December and I've not taken the time to become familiar with each and every system on the unit. I'll play with this on our next trip out in April and see if I can add any info of substance for you for trending purposes. Again, thanks for the Operations and Settings files, as they are always great to keep handy on my phone for quick reference.

Yes this new system was major learning curve. I designed and installed an off grid system in 3 trailers and I'm pretty spoiled. The design was simple. An Onan gen, two transfer switches and a inverter/charger with remote panels. Deleted the converter and used the inverter/charger to smart charge the batteries. I could leave the unit plugged in all year and not boil the batteries. When boondocking I would turn on the inverter when AC was needed and start the gen when the batteries needed topped off. Turn the inverter off at night.

This new system in the Monty incorporates solar. They engineered the system assuming that when boondocking the solar would charging the batteries and the inverter is always on and AC is available when needed. Problem is you run the risk of prematurely draining the batteries and the inverter would shut off. With the inverter off it doesn't pass through gen power to inverted outlets. And what if you're relying on solar with no sun.

Anyway when boondocking, enabling the on/off power switch allows you to turn off the inverter at night thus preserving your batteries. The unit has some flaws such as AC must be present for the inverter power button to work and the internal transfer switch doesn't pass AC when the unit is off. Off should default AC pass through. Programming is also a pain.

We're taking the unit out boondocking for the first time this weekend and we'll see how it works out. I still have a GFI gremlin that I haven't figured out.