View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #42
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As an individual that has grown up in the middle of the "oil patch" and now an epicenter of solar and wind farms, I can say from my experience oil is the way to go for the foreseeable future IMO.

Oil: in this area they are the largest contributor to the tax base - by a large margin. They build their own infrastructure, they receive no grants, free loans etc. - they carry their own weight and give back. They employ thousands of people 7x24x365, not just during construction. Fossil fuels are THE backbone of this country, our industrialization and our foreseeable future.

......... I would encourage anyone interested in delving into it a little deeper, past the media hype and paid "climatologists", to read a book called "Climate of Extremes" by Patrick J. Michaels and Robert C. Balling to get a more rounded view of the situation.
!
I certainly agree that the move toward electric vehicles and the reduced dependence, and use of, petroleum products is going to have a significant impact on the employment and tax bases of some local communities and on some states that are heavily into oil production. And the move to EVs will also heavily impact the labor force in automobile and truck production and service. No argument there.

As for reading a book on the affects of humans on climate change, there is a large problem there. There is an endless number of such books and studies on both sides of the table. And the majority of those are going to be somewhat, if not heavily, bias toward the agenda of the authors. You can read one book and become convinced their data and argument is overwhelming. Then read a second book using the same data and immediately question the first book and not too sure about the second. Two sides can take the same data, pick and choose what bits and pieces fit their agenda, ignore the rest, and create a convincing argument in their favor, and yet be completely opposing each other. And neither side will ever give an inch into any credibility of the other. That’s the way it has always been and will always be done. You might as well be arguing religion or politics.