View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We all can reason out to ourselves why we need a certain something in our arsenals of travel aids. Heck, I have a garage with a handful of specialty tools I've only used once or twice, but I reasoned it was sure handy to have those couple of times I needed them. I have no issue with stopping 250 - 300 miles to fuel up and I surely don't take a half hour to 45 minutes to do it ... but admittedly I don't care for truck stops and paying the premium price for the honor of using FJ's or Pilot's services when a regular station 1/2 mile down the road has their diesel for 20 cents cheaper. (remember I'm 67' long double towing most of the time). For responders that lean towards the reasoning that they can get cheaper fuel to fill the spare tank when they want to ... say you extremely conservatively spent $600 on a 60 gal tank and you save 15 cents a gallon filling that tank ... that's $9. Am I figuring this wrong or will you have to go thru @67 tanks full to pay off the initial cost? At 12 mpg ... that's @48,000 miles. I fully understand that for many this is all about peace of mind, comfort, ease of access, or those emergency moments ... the part I don't get is the cheaper fuel scenario ... and as I type wondering how many of you actually sit in your truck for 6-8 hours without stopping to break up the trip?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote