View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
When I still had my old 2000 F350, I used the Curt Spider gooseneck plate often on my Reese bed rails as I have a dovetailed gooseneck trailer that I use to haul my JD tractor and shredder. I had a Curt Q20 hitch at the time for my fiver. The Q20 and Spider could be easily swapped out depending on which trailer I needed to hook up to ... although the Q20 got heavier and heavier as each year passed. I opted to go with the steel Andersen hitch model that also attaches directly to the Reese bed rails a few years afterwards due to the weight issue described when horsing the Q20 in and out of the bed.

Fast forward to last year when I bought a 2017 F350 with the puck system factory installed. Owning an older truck for years, I was a newby about the newer gadgets factory installed. I couldn't use my Andersen without buying an adaptor that attached to the puck system. I tried the adaptor, but with the late model trucks sitting so high to start with, the adaptor made the nose high issue worse with no more adjustment on my pin box or Andersen hitch. I ended up buying just the tripod part of an Andersen aluminum hitch that fits directly to the ball that fits in my puck system. I already had the Andersen adaptor on my pin box left over from the rail mount Andersen hitch. This setup finally got me pulling very close to level again plus I don't have to swap anything out when I want to pull my gooseneck trailer other than simply removing the Andersen tripod. And by the way ... the Andersen is a "ball mount hitch" but is not considered a gooseneck in the true sense. Please don't let my hitch tale get tangled up in an Andersen hitch tangent as I was just telling a parallel story to the OP's. Just be happy with the hitch you use and I'll be happy with mine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote