View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 06:51 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Several years ago on a previous travel trailer the wind caught our awning and it popped up and then popped down. It didn't break the arms or the roller, but it did tear the fabric where it attaches to the side of the trailer. (not the roller).

I was able to wire it back up by drilling a few holes in the track on the trailer and running wire through them and the fabric, enough I could roll the awning back up. We kept it closed the remainder of that trip and had it replaced once we got back home. And the sad thing was, we were RIGHT under the awning when that happened.

Every since then, we made a commitment we'd never have the awning out unless were were actually right at the camper. Even yesterday, my wife and and our doggie went for walk (at the campground), and before we left I asked my wife if we should pull in the awnings since we'd be gone only a short while. She said, "absolutely yes!" We were gone, maybe 30 minutes. I don't regret the extra 15 seconds to retract and another 15 seconds to extend again.

This is also the #1 reason why we don't hang anything on the awning itself, like lights or those shades that extend to the ground and anchor down.

At night, the awnings are always pulled in. They are all electric, and all it takes is a push of the button. Even when we had the manual awning, I still pulled them in at night after that one got damaged.

Yes, if you are not physically RIGHT there, keep those awning retracted.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote