View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Ozz,
We will be looking for you, really hope we can meet up sometime.

Repo,
I put a few more pictures up on that site
Yes on the junction box on the roof, I just used a regular weatherproof box that i mounted in caulking over the wire hole, then connected the wires inside it from the panels. I used waterproof cable entrances and siliconed them for good measure.
It took me about 2 hours to build the controller, but I have a variable temperature benchtop soldering station and years of experience with electronics. It is relatively easy because the parts are thru-hole (read large old style) and the instructions are very detailed. That said, I did it so that I would be able to repair it on the road, i am taking spares of the few parts that usually go out on electronic circuits with me. It actually took me lots longer to get it mounted in the box the way I wanted, hook up the 6 gauge wires to it, and design and build my own temperature controlled cooling fan circuit. As soon as Rogue gets their new model out I will probably get it.
And yes, it is a simple design. My pet theory has always been KISS. I already have remote voltage and current meters on the battery, the amp meter in the picture is not necessary, just tells me what the panels are producing from the front compartment. Basically it is panels, disconnect, controller, disconnect, battery, with the appropriate wires to connect them all. I just combined the disconnects into one box.
All of the parts I used are off the shelf at the local hardware or auto supply, you will pay 3-5 times as much from a solar distributor for the equivalent thing.
It really isn't rocket science, as long as you fuse everything to prevent fires low voltage is fairly safe. Remember, disconnect everything and remove rings, watches, and uninsulated tools from the area. Don't make yourself into a welding rod.
My latest fun project has been my tracker set up. I'll post links in the hobby forum.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote