View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #17
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
It appears that most of this cracking is due to keystone's lack of basic engineering. I wouldn't blame lippert for this one. Designing a square cornered opening near a flexing point is about as ignorant as one can get. What I don't understand is their ongoing use of this design. Until you follow the money and find the answer. Keystone, I dare you to chime in and shed some insight to this matter.
While I don't blame Lippert either, I'm not for sure how much of it is Keystone's "fault" either.

The reason that I say that is that we as customers like these floorplans. While you can argue that customers don't have any responsibility in the design, once we start buying floorplans that have features like the front slides, it become harder for the manufacturers to design around it. If they do NOT offer those floorplans, they lose sales.

At the end of the day, one thing that I think that we can 100% agree on is that it is NOT a good design to put a SQUARE hole in the middle of a high stress area.

My wife and I are in the market for a new unit, probably SOB. I've watched quite a few videos on different builds, and frame designs, and one thing that I don't think is a great design either is the drop frame. Again, we as customers all LOVE our drop frames, and it's what we've demanded from the manufacturers. That "drop" design makes the lever arm on that problematic square hole front slide 10-12" longer, which makes the stress even greater.

So, as long as we as customers "demand" this stuff, the manufacturers are in a tough spot, IMHO...