Thread: Surge Guard
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #35
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Stiles--Jeez, I'm finding it confusing enough trying to figure out how to protect against the first two items on your list--I'm going to try to protect myself from going crazy by deferring the last three items--I look forward to hearing about your solution to them.

Rich--I'll be curious to see what responses you get from those more knowledgeable about the issue you raise. Based on my limited knowedge, I would think your 30 amp surge protector (presumably connected to your power cord upstream of the autoformer) would protect both the autoformer and your rig from the lightening strikes. And the autoformer would protect against limited drops in CG voltage. I suspect you would still be theoretically vulnerable to CG voltages that are really low or are too high (without bbeing a big surge like a lightening strike). I just don't know how frequent problems like that are in CGs.

Orv--I'm curious to know what size (i.e., amps) your Surge Guard and Autoformer are and whether you need to use a variety of adapters when you do hookups. I suspect that I will most often be hooking up with a 30 amp power cord but might eventually migrate up to using the 50 amp cord if I add the 2d AC and/or the washer/dryer and am in a situation where I figure to have multiple appliances going at the same time. So I figure I should get the 50 amp versions of both the Surge Guard and Autoformer. That would seem to make for some interesting use of adapters if I follow your example and keep the devices beneath my rig. Just how do you deal with different power cords and adapters in your hookup? That's one advantage I see to hardwiring things in--just go with everything using 50 amp connectors somewhere like the front compartment that is downstream of the power cord going to the CG power pole.

John--one question--do you know where and how one taps into the incoming 50 amp power line in order to hardwire some of these components in the front compartment near the battery?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote