View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chd20go

In South Carolina we use the electric fireplace most of the time with small ceramic heater in b/room at night thermostat set at 68 for propane furnace. 35 last night with 30mph wind and furnace came on only three times for about 5 minutes per time. We are workampers so electric and propane is part of our pay, but even if not we would operate the same way!
Hi Larry, welcome to the forum. Off grid or boondocking means having no electricity to plug into. Your way works great if you are on grid with some place to plug your cord into. When off grid/boondocking we have to be a lot more creative with electrical usage. My off grid setup is 460 watts of Solar panels charging 4 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries with a 2300 watt inverter to run the 110 volt AC loads. I've got plans and am gathering material to build a solar heater for use during the day.

I've got a like new blue flame heater, similar to the brick type but flame to heat the air, at home in Missouri that I am going to bring back when we visit in 2 weeks. I'm going to run a special vent from the outside to it similar to like they do with mobile homes for fireplaces. It runs on a 100 lb propane tank. We used it as our only heat one winter during an ice storm for about 2 weeks and it used about 2 tanks of propane in that time heating a 2000 Sq' home. Granted we did close off rooms we weren't using, but I was impressed with it efficiency. I figure venting moisture will be cracking a ceiling vent. we've got one vent in the kitchen that doesn't have any kind of fan in it.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote