Thread: Wiring Issues
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Wiring Issues

Coming home from NH yesterday, I got the "Check Trailer Wiring" message. Almost immediately "Trailer Connected" appeared. This happened off and on repeatedly along the drive. Finally, the "Check Trailer Wiring" stayed on. My running lights were on on the Montana, so it wasn't a complete disconnect. However, I had no trailer brakes when I manually applied them. I'm not sure how many of the other features of the 7-pin connector were operational, but a multi-meter test when I got home indicated I may not have had anything. I'm guessing something with the groundwire due to the off-then-on pattern I was getting. I went under the truck and looked for anything obvious, but everything was visually ok. Now begins the process of pulling connections apart, chasing the wiring up to the hood and to the controller if necessary to find the problem. When I had my Cougar TT, I used to get this intermittently, so I suspect the truck, not the Montana. Question is, has anyone had this issue, and where did you find the problem? I'd like to begin in the most likely locations. As far as getting home safely, the Banks Speedbrake paid for itself in one trip.
Thanks for any suggestions that may help make it easier to find. I'll let everyone know what I find in hopes it'll help someone else someday.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote