View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 12:51 AM   #32
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I’m reading this post from a different perspective based on information you provided.
1. Urgency to get to your destination
2. No sightseeing
3. Driving 500-600 miles a day.

If these were my objectives, I would not tow an rv on such a trip.
Rv’ing should be enjoyable, although there can be some stressful situations. You are starting out already stressed, your mother’s health. You are driving 8-10 hours a day, fuel stops that will accommodate your rv, setting up and breaking camp (although I’m sure it will be minimal) potentially in the dark, etc.
Without the rv, in that same 8-10 hours a day, you will travel further. You can refuel anywhere. There are motel/hotels at just about every exit on the interstates.

Just my two cents.

Thank you sir for your comment, you know a man has to know their limitation so I will break it up so I won't be too overly tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
We took the trip from Seattle to Georgia a couple of years back before the Thanksgiving timeframe. We used the Good Sam trip planner and had campgrounds set up to call each day. If they didn’t have availability when we called we got on the internet and called others or kept driving until we found one. You can make pretty good time going across middle America as there was little traffic except inconsiderate truckers. We didn’t go the I90 route as the weather predictions were not good so we dropped down through Oregon, Idaho, the tip of Utah and across Wyoming. The biggest issue we had was waking up to 6 inches of snow in Utah where we couldn’t get the slides in as the snow compacted when we tried to bring in the slide. I was on a ladder pushing off the snow while the wife was bringing in the slide a couple of inches at a time. We got out of there and then sat in Wyoming for 3 hours as truckers had jackknifed across both lanes, both directions shutting down the highway. Once we got out of there it was pretty uneventful driving. Make sure you map out your fuel stops, if driving straight through, as there are sometimes no fueling opportunities for hours of driving.

Good luck and hope all goes well!

And this is with Good Sam Trip Planner that I made this route on and this is what I'm looking for an easy travel down. I'm going to have to look at the route you went through and with the snow you probably went earlier in the year, we went one year and went through WY and it was a little snow and ice on the ground at one of the KOA's the water pipe froze, not good.

In my GMC 3500 dually I have a 36 gals fuel tank and I always carry an extra 5 gals fuel can, but I did check into getting a Titan 62 gals tank to replace the oem tank but they wanted $2,300 dollars and not counting that I have to fill it up with diesel so I will keep my 5 gals or even I can have two 5 gals fuel can and come out cheaper.

I'm looking at going in the summer time between June-August but I'm not sure so I would like that at least have my mapping done. Thank you again for your comment. This is the route that I might go with see map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Run 4.png
Views:	21
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	16371  
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote