View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 09:20 AM   #28
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I just received my Swagman E-Spec rack to replace my Hollywood rack. When searching for a rack you have to look at all the fine print specifications. Some say e bike rated for 70 lbs each but on a fifth wheel only 60 lbs.

For example, on etrailer the specs on the Yakima Y36FR says 2 bikes, 5th wheel rated, 2" hitch, tilt, bike rated, 66 lbs per bike. All good so far, then you read if on a 5th wheel the weight rating goes down to 40 lbs per bike, and the tilt feature must be locked out. Also the tire size is only 3.25"

Some are frame mount and some are wheel clamp and some have grabbers for the frame. My bikes have fenders and racks so the wheel mount versions are out. Frame mount for me but I have to use the extra bars that go from the seat post to the handle bar stem. Also make sure you get the right wheel size i.e. 3" or 4" tire. Also make sure your wheels fit i.e. 20" and up.

If you have the bikes you can find the right rack to fit. There are too many variables if you buy the rack first without knowing your bikes details.
Also the 2" mount will hold more and be higher rated than the 1.25" mount. Hitch extensions for the mount, even 2" size will reduce the rating of the hitch and might void the warranty.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote