View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate your input and insights.

Daryles, after reading the links, noticed that most of the teeth on that forward rack have impressions and wear marks - you can sort of see this in the picture comparing the section of the unused teeth to the teeth in the middle of the rack. The teeth on the rearward rack look fine. Seems there is a slide alignment/adjustment issue that caused this.

Mlh, I appreciate your input and experience. I was thinking about a straightedge and potentially buying say, a 1 foot section of spur rack (thinking it's a standard) and clamping that for tooth spacing alignment. I think I could make the dowel or gage pin idea work if needed. This idea was more as a last resort if the repair wasn't covered under warranty, or outrageously costly or complex. I agree that doing it right with a new part is the way to go.

Rohrmann, really appreciate the pictures and details. I was wondering about how to support the slide. I've changed engines, transmissions, and generally work on my cars so the pictures give a good idea about the complexity such that I'd be willing to tackle this job if needed.

Re the warranty, I contacted Lippert customer service and a very courteous and patient rep took my information and opened a case. We spent a lot of time using their service manual and looking at the hydraulic pump to nail down the system. He also provided a link to upload pictures. He thought it would be covered but needed to confirm so I'm to call Tues after the Labor Day on the outcome. He also gave me a list of shops and the trailer shop I contacted happens to be an authorized dealer.

Thanks again. You've been really helpful! This forum is great!
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote