View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Before purchasing the 40 pound tanks, make sure the circumference of the tank is exactly the same as your original 30 pound tanks.

I purchased a 3rd 30 pound tank I carry with us all the time. I use it for our Coleman Camp Stove as the on-board quick gas line disconnect on my Montana does not work with my Coleman camp stove.

Meanwhile, that extra 30 pound tank comes in real handy when winter camping, using it as a back up.

However!!!! The circumference of the tank is just slightly larger than my originals. (And I purchased this tank from my local RV dealership too!) That means, those metal straps that wrap round the tank in the propane tank cargo bays is too short and won't snap tight.

That's no problem if sitting stationary, but when traveling, those tanks need to be strapped down. So, when using the tank as a back up, when it comes time to travel and one of the originals is empty, I'll swap the empty one back and stow away the 3rd one.

So, before purchasing a new tank, check the circumference and make sure it's identicfal.

But, if you don't mind the weight and making some minor adjustments in your propane bay areas, a 40 pounder will work just fine.

I've considered swapping out mine for 2 - 40 pounders, but since I already have the extra 30 pounder, I finally ruled that out because using 2 - 40's is 80 pounds and carrying 3 - 30's is 90 pounds. So, actually, I'm ahead 10 more pounds!

I carry the extra tank in the front compartment (under the trailer king pin) through, upright, snugged all around with totes.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote