Thread: Solar panels
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Don't get hung up on the inverter style generator. That is not the inverter we are talking about. Regardless of the style generator, it still outputs AC. (I don't want to get into generator technology, that will just muddy the water)

The inverter we are talking about takes DC from your battery & solar (if equipped) system and converts it to AC. So, you can run your AC devices off your inverter as long as you batteries last. Then, you will have to crank up the generator to run your AC devices. Or, any combination of the two.

A "pure sine wave" inverter puts out cleaner AC than a standard inverter; at a substantially higher cost. Most things (not sure I ever found anything that would not) run fine on a standard inverter. The thinking is that computers and other sensitive devices prefer the "pure sine wave". (Once again, no need to go into the technology of pure sine wave vs switched) I have a 2000W pure sine wave inverter; not because I needed it, but I could afford it and that is what I bought.

You know those little inverters you see at auto parts stores that plug into your lighter socket so you can run a small AC device in your car? We are talking about the same thing, only bigger.
OK, I think I've got it, thanks! I was a bit surprised by the price of the sine wave converter. I do use computer equipment (I'm a software developer and will be working a bit on the road), but I can certainly run the laptop off battery (or refrain from working!) for those days that we are on the Alaskan Highway and have to make due with no-electric accommodations.
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote