View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #15
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I'm pretty sure the heat pump/ac is now standard on all the 4 season models. Per the statement above, we have 2 thermostats. Both are identical. Even though the heat pump / ac is on the front unit and the rear is ac only, they both display exactly the same. Heat Pump is an option on the second thermostat, but it does nothing.

FYI, after 2 years of ownership now and using the camper almost every day, our heat pump work well till 42 degrees outside. Then it starts to diminish. When the outside temperature reaches 38, it blows nothing but cold air.

Ours is a front living room model. The fire place is in the very front and it keeps the living room pretty warm. But it does nothing for the kitchen area, 3 steps lower, even with the ceiling fan running.

The furnace, if run by itself, does keep the camper warm throughout, end-to-end. But I figure about 45-50% of the heat blows under the floor (that winter package ... that's what keeps the pipes from freezing). So, with these high ceilings, 4 slide outs, you guessed it?.... when the outside temps drop, the propane usage skyrockets. When outside temps are in the 20's, its not uncommon to run through a 30 pound tank of propane in 2 days. BUT! The pipes do not freeze up!

If using your camper when outside temps are below freezing, and you depend on electric heat only in the coach area, your pipes will freeze. The furnace has to be running to keep the underbelly heated. That is the trade off.
Ours is a front bedroom, rear den model. The Heat Pump option only displays on the thermostat in the kitchen which controls the rear unit. Front/bedroom thermostat only shows AC and Furnace, but the Furnace option doesn't seem to do anything.
To save on propane, you can get the heat pump to operate at lower temps by supplementing with electric heat inside. I have 2 electric heaters and position one of them so that the return ducts on the rear unit pick up the warmer air and recirculate it throughout the coach. I also purchased remote thermometers and put one in the belly and one in the basement so I could make sure there was no danger of freezing pipes.
By using electric heaters with the heat pump, I can keep the inside of the coach livable even down into the 20's outside. Inside temps will maintain 60-65 and the belly and basement never went below 40 without using any propane at all. Much below 20 and I will need to kick the furnace on from time to time. HTH.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote