View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #24
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I believe the newer rigs come with a load center where the 50 amp breaker is in the center with sub breakers on one side for hot 1 and subs on the other side for hot 2. My 2007 model had a panel with the 50 amp at one end and the breakers to the right and alternating on hot legs like a home panel. I could have installed a linked 2 pole breaker and powered a 240 vac appliance.

The only real concern with the 240 vac is loss of neutral. Then, depending on the load on each leg, you will get something other than 120 vac on each hot leg. You might have 40 vac on one leg and 200 on the other. Whatever they are, the two will always total 240 vac.

As for voltages. 110 vac was the original alternating current voltage created. Later that was raised to 115 vac. And still later raised to the 120 vac in use today. Power companies supply 120/240 +/- 5% to our homes.

OK, enough for today’s lesson. Test on Thursday.
Man, I hate tests. But I guess if it's part of my final grade...

It makes sense. Sorry, I tend to use 110, 115, 120, and 125v interchangeably. So, it sounds like...regardless of whether the incoming current is managed at the post via the cable or at the power center, the current is always distributed throughout the coach as 120v. And it's possible, with the right breaker setup, to capture 240v if needed.

So, takeaways for the OP:

1. nowhere in the coach, especially through any of the standard wall outlets including GFI, should you have 240+ volts. If so then power is being jumped somewhere it shouldn't be and is a fire hazard.
2. none of the outlets should read voltage on both sides of any of the outlets. If so then there is a short somewhere and is a shock hazard.

Does this make sense?

If it were me I would double check the outlet coming from the house to make sure that each side is sending only 120v. Then I would check the RV power cable for continuity to see of it has an internal short. If both of those check out then I would know the problem is in the trailer. Process of elimination troubleshooting. YMMV
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote