View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We've never had a problem with heating the rig EXCEPT when Wayne tried to run the propane generator and heater all night on battery power! That was a newbie learning experience for sure. Duh. At the time, we were hitting 10 below regularly and going through two tanks of propane every couple of days, but we had no problems with the furnace. However, the first time we saw the -40 stuff coming, we bit the bullet and put in a temporary 250 gallon tank to avoid several trips to town during the week to get proprane. With the big tank, we've had no problems at all. Unfortunately, in your situation you can't drag a 250-gallon tank around with you.

About the water lines freezing: I wish I had a schematic or something similar showing exactly where the water lines were located in the walls. We always have the furnace running because we're here all the time (at least ONE of us is here--one of us has to teach school, but I won't name names!), so the rig is warm inside 24/7. I can add insulation to the interior of the cabinets, but it would be nice to know exactly where those water lines are.

I empathize with you about Bernie leaving you to cope with this learning curve because Wayne is leaving me for about 2 weeks the first of February to go check on his 95-year-old mother in Texas. Thankfully, I'm not expecting heating problems because we've had none for nearly 4 months now, and I can manage without water for a day or so, but it would be nice to know I didn't have to deal with the water problem at all. If worse comes to worse, we do have a motel in Dillon that allows pets, and our vet also has a nice boarding facility. Since I'm still teaching, I'd probably have to board the pets. At least we'd all be warm.

I'm anxious to hear the responses to your heating problem--I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something minor that can be taken care of before Bernie leaves.

Good luck!
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote