View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
May I add one more "tip" that you definitely should be aware of? You should never "speed" when towing your camper. No .... I'm not talking about the posted road speed sign, I'm referring to the speed limit rating of your trailer tires. Every tire has a maximum speed limit rating. Your trailer tires may be rated at 65 mph or 80 mph. Don't be tempted to tow any faster than what your tires are rated at. Even if the speed limit is 80 mph (like some roads in the West) and there is absolutely no one else on a perfectly flat straight road, you should NOT exceed 65 mph. So.... check your tires, know exactly what they are rated for. This is truly one of the biggest preventative practices you can do.

Also, know exactly the height of your camper and write it down and stick in in the front of your truck cab where you can just glance up and see it. If you travel enough, you will be off the interstates and someday encounter a bridge overhead that has a questionable height clearance for your camper. Having it right in front of you, with a quick glance, will save you LOTS of headaches. I think (almost) everyone on these forums has had to experience backing up somewhere because of a low clearance bridge that they were not expecting. Having those numbers in your face is a constant preventative procedure you'll NEVER, EVER regret having.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote