View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #9
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Baldicon, I have the same clunking noise you are describing and it scared the heck out of me the first time it happened. I thought the hitch was coming out of the truck. After checking the mount points in the pucks and everything else I could think of, I called B&W and sent them pictures of our hitch, pin box, etc. It was suggested that the swivel part of the rotaflex pin box needed lubrication as it is able to "flex" up and down on the pin box. I spray the sides of the bolt plates where the bottom plate bolts onto the pin box with the rotating head with white lithium grease and the clunking went away. It does come back periodically and I will spray it again. I have checked that these bolts are tightened to the proper torque also. I don't remember what that was, but 120 lb. ft. seems right.
It's hard to describe, but I'll try and get some pics when it gets light enough out.
Thanks for the reply Robert. I have sprayed the swivel bolts on the Rotoflex with lithium grease as you suggested, but have not torqued the bolts. But in my case, I could (B&W) and can (Comfort Ride) actually see the hitch jaws opening slightly and then closing back. The closing is what was and is making the clunk sound. I will torque the Rotoflex swivel bolts before we head out again.