View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mitch, Can't help you on camping around Yellowstone in the winter, but what a wonderful place to visit in the winter. All roads in the interior of the park are closed to all but tracked vehicles. We have done this on three occassions, once staying inside the park at Old Faithful and twice we stayed in cabins in West Yellowstone. The snowmobiling is great and the scenery in the park is much different in the winter. When we were there anyone could snowmobile on their own through the park. Rules have changed and you now must go in with a guide. Little more restraining but the scenery would be worth it. Besides the park itself there are miles of snowmobile trails out of West Yellowstone and also down in Teton National Park. I am anxious to see what others have to say about winter camping in the area even though it would not be for me. The weather and the road conditions in that area are too unpredictable for me to tow the monty. It was bad enough in a car from Bozeman to West Yellowstone and from Jackson to the south entrance of the park.