Thread: Green movement
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #34
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Too many issues for EV.... First is the Grid..... Second is what to do with the toxic battery waste.. 3rd.There is more energy used to get what one gallon of gasoline equal to an ev in mpg.... In other words, Voltage loss and drop from the power plant to the outlet... If the powers that be really believed the hogwash they spew they would build a state of the art mass public transportation system... There is too much money in Gas Taxes, Auto registration, fed taxes on tires, fines, etc... Now they are looking at taxing by the mile....
... or you don't use batteries. That solves most of your issues. No issues with grid, no voltage drop from electrical plants, etc, etc.

Next, toxic battery waste? That one seems to popup all over yet there are early Prius and other hybrids that are 15+ years old and most on original batteries; and those were very old nicad tech, not lithium which has proven to be a big step up in longevity. Seriously, there is toxic waste in every part of every vehicle; this one just seems to be a convenient way to bash something new and different.

Lastly, on taxing by the mile? Well right now we are paying taxes at the pump, so changing the tax method means nothing if in the end the rates remain the same. Which, right now, I don't think anyone knows.

And, to be clear, I don't own an EV but am keeping an open mind. It seems there are many who want to focus on all of the current limitations and not be open to the future. I'm interested in the future as I expect to be there.

YMMV, and IMHO

Brad