Thread: Green movement
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #38
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I just wonder about the weight issues, with EV's on the big Trucks. Guess the Government will increase the weight for Big Trucks. Battery's are not light in weight. Then what about the cost? Then what about getting rid of the battery's. At my age it will not matter, But, we know what happens when Government gets involved. Thats why gas/diesel is exploding in cost. Oil is the life blood of America. There is not many items made in America that don't require OIL.

We have been blessed to travel thru out America. Sitting in Florida today, and will be here for 6 months. Will return to Florida next year God willing and if there is Diesel. If not I will stay in Tennessee in my old Log House. What ever I will be happy, with the one I love.

Just imagine if there was no diesel. Florida for example would be almost empty. Everyone in this RV resort at one time was in and RV.

Happy trails.
I agree with the battery weight issues and commercial transportation. Every extra pound of vehicle weight means 1 less pound of cargo.
I believe that is why the GM/Navistar/JB Hunt trial may be so important. All the benefits of EV and no batteries!

And, while we are at it... it seems to have been lost that there ARE a lot of advantages of an electric motor vehicle. Much quieter engine, but have you ever driven a Tesla or other modern fully electric vehicle? It is eye opening. INSTANT torque and it accelerates while you are thinking about it - it seems like you accelerate before your foot moves. No warm up times, no cool down times, no starting and stopping the motor in traffic as an interim way to save energy. And almost always way more power and torque compared to the ICE they replace. (the worlds fastest production car for acceleration is a Tesla, and exotic ICE vehicles are getting left further behind)
If anyone thinks that an older hybrid is what an EV drives like, they would be amazed to find out the difference.

So, to me, I think the key is solving the energy storage. Short term that includes improved battery technology. But long term there are many other technologies that will very likely generate the required electricity.

Either way, modern high torque electric motors are FAR superior to ICE in about every possible way.

Brad