View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Gubs,

Think about this.... you spend 1/3 or more of your entire life sleeping based on an 8 hour night. That translates to 57 hours a week you spend in bed, 240 hours based on a 30 day month, 2920 hours a year, and if you live to be the age of 70 that 240400 hours of your life you spend on your mattress.

That's a lot of time out of your life to be uncomfortable. I always said, my place of employment and the reason I work has never been about money, it's always been about satisfaction. And I'm not satisfied with my job, I leave.

The same is true for the place where I spend 1/3 of my life ... in bed. If my mattress is not comfortable, I get rid of it. Too much of life is spent there to be uncomfortable.

Do yourself a favor and look into just purchasing a new mattress for your camper, one that is comfortable, maybe even better than the one in your house. There's nothing wrong with spoiling yourself with your camper. You invested thousands and thousands of dollars into purchasing it. Why do you want to cheap-out now and take the road that, in the end, will not satisfy you and cost you twice, when you realize a topper does not work.

We tried a topper in a previous camper and it was horrible. The thing slid around and would not stay put. It was not fit exactly right, and even though it was a nice 4 inches, it was still horribly uncomfortable. The mattress below it made a horrible foundation, and we just sunk into the topper and felt like we were being droped into a pool of quick sand. We slept on that horrid thing for 2 night and that was it. The original mattress slept more comfortable, springs, hard edges, and worn cover and all.

We tuely wasted our money on that endeavor. We ended up a Serta mattress, the same we had in the house, and even though it cost more, we never regretted it.

Our current Montana actually came with a pretty decent mattress. It was very comfortable so we used it for over a year. Then we noticed the cover on it wearing very thin so we ended up getting a new one. Actually, this was the most expensive mattress we ever purchased ... ever. It's foam, 12 inches think and sleeps unbelievably comfortable.

So, with my best sales pitch here I just threw at you, just forget about a topper and get a new mattress. Apply that $120 to the cost of a new mattress. You WILL not be disappointed.

Just an FYI.... several years ago, we made the decision to quit taking the cheap route with our camper. We started replacing all our second hand, hand-me-down, used, and worn out stuff for new, fresh, and more elegant stuff. It started with dishes, going from paper plates to Corning wear, then sheets, blankets, pillows, cookware, even our clothing. We replaced the outside lawn furniture with the el-cheap-o uncomfortable second hand thrift shop left over junk and replaced everything (over time) with nice, comfortable, chairs, outside end tables, and so on.

We did this because our camper is our only hobby. It's more our lifestyle. It's our "love shack", our vacation house, our motel on wheels. When you step foot into a motel room, you expect things to be nice, clean, somewhat elegant. You expect amenities , like clean, comfortable bedding, soft carpets, a decent working television, a refrigerator, coffee pot, hair dryer. You expect the Continental breakfast, and you want that breakfast to be GOOD!

So, .... why do so many people short change their camper. Pre-cooked, re-heated food, uncomfortable beds, ragged out clothes, paper plates, cook ware that sticks, scorches, and is horrible to clean. Nasty toilet paper, and tooth paste with a taste that would choke a maggot.

Now is the time to turn your camper into a 5 star motel room, and truly let it become your "love shack" tool. Give it your best! And you'll enjoy it even more than you'll ever imagine!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote