View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetug View Post
2020 Montana Hight Country with a Dometic RM1350SLX fridge.

Wondering what everyone else has for normal refrigerator temperatures. Mine will only keep mid 20s in the freezer and 40s in the fridge. Doesn't matter what temperature number I have it set at 1 or 5.

I had a service tech come out and he couldn't find anything wrong with the unit. Said maybe it had a bubble or clog inside the tubing. The only thing he recommended was taking it out and turning it upside down a few times to see if that helped. Gave it 50/50 chance. He really just wanted to rip it apart and put in an amish cooling unit but we couldn't stick around for that. Plus the cost.

I've tried all the normal tricks. Changed the thermistor, checked the cooling fans, added an extra fan to push more air through outside fins, added an interior fan to move air in the fridge box, checked the seals, made sure it is level.

It doesn't matter if I'm on propane or electric it just doesn't cool much. Outside temps are not high either. 40s at night and 60 day so that isn't it either.

Thoughts?
One thing to check on the outside top vent is to make sure your baffles are placed properly so that the air flow goes through the heat exchanger fins. All the air flow needs to go through those fins and out the vent. Also check that all the space around the back of the fridge is sealed well so no air gets in above or in the sides of the fridge. I have the same fridge. If it is in a slide out, thats where they have the most issues. I had all kinds of issues same as you. I got fed up and replaced the cooling unit with a 12V compressor unit from JC Refrigeration in Indiana. Runs off 12 volt and can run it 24/7. No more propane to worry about while traveling, or otherwise.
I now have a freezer thats 15-20 below, and maintain my refrigerator at 35-37 in 100+ degree heat. Way faster recovery on temps when going in and out of the fridge. Minutes instead of hours. 40 degrees and up starts bacteria growth and food spoils much faster. You want an average refrigerator temp of 36-37 degrees. I f you cannot get it to cool properly, converting it to 12V compressor driven is the way to go IMO. Solid construction, heavy tubing, more solid than a residential in that regard. Works the same way as a residential. Don’t need an inverter. Hope you get it to work.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote