View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #26
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I just raised all four tires off the ground after breaking the lug nuts loose. Then I took the whole bunch of new tires and old Sailuns that were mounted to the rims to Walmart as there were reduced fees since I had bought them at Walmart.com. I tried to get Costco to do it again like last time so I would have Nitrogen instead of atmospheric air but they refused. My instructions at Walmart was after R & R of the tires to air them up to 90PSI and then obviously balance them. Just before the Tire Shop closing time I got a call that they were done and ready to be picked up. After a bit of a redo on the bill I loaded them up and went home. I was going to just put them on but my conscience told me to repack the wheel bearings and clean the drums along with checking the amount of brake shoes that was left. I got the wheel bearings packed along with the brake inspection done on the rear axle and installed those tires. I let the rear jacks down a little to let the tires take some of the load overnight. Finished the job the next day after going to Walmart to get my good valve stem caps and three more tubes of grease. Good quality grease is not cheap anymore. This was one day before departure for Westport Washington. Worked on some other issues the following morning until I really needed to leave to avoid the traffic on Highway -18 and I-5 through Tacoma to Olympia. I raised all my rear jacks and thought the tires looked a bit low on air compared to my 80 series tires. Checked the air pressure and cussed quite loudly as all four load Range G tires were aired to 45 lbs. Now it is time to hook up the truck and head out. I called Walmart and asked the manager of the tire shop how he was going to get my tires aired up to the 90 lbs as written up on the work order? He had no solution and I didn’t have time to remove my tires for another trip to Walmart. I eased the unit down the driveway and backed up to my pool shed where my compressor is located. I had to of course fix one air hose that had a bad connector to reach the far tires. About an hour later I finally was on my way. Yep that hour cost me at least another hour of stop and start traffic from North of Tacoma to Olympia. Moral of the story perhaps I should have went to a more professional tire shop that is used to handling more robust tires and always to check the pressure with my own gauge before leaving the dealership.
Sorry for the long reply.

Tom Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DEC107A-3340-43C1-A2D6-9AA217EAAEF0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	14551   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA431B0A-CCBB-4B7E-A6EB-2A4D6A22F343.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	14552