Thread: Alaska Trip
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, alandaudrey kept it brief. There have been many topics posted prior and some long ones too (I'm guilty of doing that, too). There's lots to consider, starting with getting a Milepost!

Depending on the route, bring a sign with you to leave at Watson Lake's "signpost forest" (12 miles east of the northern end of the 97/137 junction). Depending on the season, a horrible fishermen becomes a great fisherman, but watch for bears!

Don't forget a very good tool kit and spare parts! It not just what you can do to your rig when towing but the opposing traffic does not drive slow and the rain of gravel from opposing vehicles can create problems.

I hope you have plenty of truck for the tow with large mudflaps. If some areas are under construction and it has rained, the road will be a mess. Stopping in Hyder is interesting too. It's the ONLY Alaska town on the Southeast passage that you can drive to right on the Alaska/Canada border and hopefully unlike when I was there, it doesn't rain. The town's roads are dirt compared to its Canadian border neighbor whose roads are paved. LOL.

Allow plenty of time (and money).

Don't forget to check the trailer suspension before you go. The U-bolts are infamous for being loose when the rig is new, so you'll need to torque these until they settle in.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote