View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have DirecTV and decided HD with SWM was the only way to go for me. I have two options.
1. I have an automatic rooftop antenna from RF Mogul that is my primary antenna. It is pricey at around $2K. But just pushing one button is worth it

2. When blocked by trees or whatever, I use a portable SL3 antenna. I cannibalized a couple of antennas from folks who had moved on. But Solid Signal sells the antenna pieces parts (reflector, LNG Arm, SWM LNB, and mount for a reasonable cost ($100+ last I looked) - https://www.solidsignal.com/DIRECTV-...-SLSP-3D2RBLNB . Obviously a cannibalized system is cheaper.

You also want a tripod to mount the antenna on. The best bet, hands down, is the tripod from TV4RV. They sell the tripod, a bubble level, and compass to ensure the antenna is vertical (muy importante). This was around $175 last I looked http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

Dishpointer.com will give you the azimuth, skew, and elevation setting for the location where you are. Make the adjustments required to the antenna and mount it vertically on the tripod.

Getting the antenna locked on to the DTV signal is not difficult but takes a little practice. I have a meter which is no longer available. But when it broke, I used the signal strength screen DTV has on the TV. If you are close to the TV you can hear, and see, when you find the 101 satellite. If you are too far away, use Facetime on two phones, one at the TV and the other with you, to watch the screen and hear the tones.

I have the DTV RV account. They used to sell it as a separate package with equivalent cost to the home package. For part time use, this is pricey. Many folks take their home receiver with them when they travel and use it. This works IF no one if back at the home base wanting to watch DTV. You do lose your local channels once you are about 200-300 miles from your home. Some have had success calling DTV and saying they are at their cabin, 2nd home, anything other than I am in a RV (they hate RVers taking a receiver with them). They will give the local channels for the area you are in as long as you don't try to do it too often. Your OTA antenna (as long as you don't want to DVR the show) will probably work just as well and avoids dealing with DTV.

There are automatic portable antennas out there but they only do SD for DTV. That's a non-starter for me.

Dish has a better RV plan, cheaper than DTV, and gets HD on the automatic portable antenna. But it doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote