View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
To help more with the cold floor we also added some thick throw rugs we had left over from the few years of house life.

Now I think that was about it for insulation. For heat our main source of warmth were a two electric tower heaters. One was in the living room area plugged into a 20amp outlet which you can see in the photo above. The second is in the kitchen area by the door, this one is plugged into a 12ga extension cord ran outside under the stairs to the bay to the post to keep it off the RV circuits.

You can also see it's showing 71-degrees in the house and it was 27 degrees out the day I took this.

We also have two very small heaters (the size of a soda can) that only pull 230 watts on high and 170 on low. I have one placed in the bedroom and one in the bay behind the convenience center. In this photo you can also see the bedroom window with a cornice that can't be removed, we put a tension rod inside the box with insulated curtain on it.

Lastly, we never had anything in our holding tanks and ever. Our gray water drains right out and we use a composting toilet keeping our black tank empty.

So that's about everything I can remember I did to help keep warm this winter in the northeast. I'm sure most of you seasoned fulltimers do the same things but hopefully it'll help the new fulltimers sticking it out in the winter. Our heater only came on the nights that were in the teens and below saving us expensive and limited propane. We never had a single interior tank or pipe freeze only one time the faucet froze but was quickly fixed with a hair dryer and some more insulation mentioned above.
RovingHome is offline   Reply With Quote