View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Well, I personally would not install a wood burner in an RV of any type, but apparently others have. So, I jumped on good old "YouTube" and a simple search returned a bunch of videos and how-to's. Click here. I suggest, before you purchase anything, and definitely before your begin the installation, that you watch through some of these videos first to get ideas on how it's done as well as safety factors you should consider.

In my last camper, just when using the propane stove top, the wall surround the stove would become horribly, incredibly hot if using more than just the front burner. The walls would get so hot, I thought they would burst into flames. In that camper, we never used 2 burners at the same time. We only used the front and was to keep the walls from getting so hot.

A wood burner will do the same thing. Having been around many in my lifetime, I know how much heat they can throw out (of course, depending upon how big they are too). But you'll need to make sure you have adequate air space on all side, wherever you place it and the surrounding structure will not over heat.

I have seen only 1 wood burner in an RV in actual experience, and that was a converted school bus made into a camper.

And for an FYI, we have a fireplace in our house and we use it as our primary heat source in the winter, so I think I know "something" about fireplaces and wood burning stoves and inserts.
This is likely the same stove installed in small boats. They are typically installed in a corner with a 3 sided heat guard surrounding it so all heat goes up. The challenge is the roof or sidewall penetration. I installed a new fireplace in my old house and know what is required. It would be a bit of a challenge to build out the structure needed for a safe chimney pass thru in an RV or boat. It can be done but it will look bulky.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote