View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
ST tires are speed rated at 65 mph. I frequently see people towing at 70+ mph. I suppose they could have changed to LT tires which would allow those speeds but speed is only one aspect of towing. Stopping is the other. I won't get into the fuel economy loss at higher speeds. Although my G614s are rated for more than 65 mph, I enjoy knowing that there is a safety margin if I don't exceed 65 mph.
GY G614 ST tires are speed rating L, which is 75mph. Sailun ST tires are also speed rating L.

See my other post on actual results of mileage at different speeds.

I agree that slower speeds may give a safety advantage in a lot of situations, but one could also argue that on a busy interstate a vehicle traveling at 65mph will pose an increased safety risk if most trucks are traveling at 70mph+ and cars at 80mph+. A study in Montana in the late 80s concluded that the largest safety risk on interstates was not the max speed, but the speed differential between fastest and slowest vehicles. It was what led them to be the first state to remove speed limits on their interstates (they have now set them at 80mph and at 70mph I get passed by almost every vehicle on the road)

My conclusion? It is too arbitrary to say that a slower speed is automatically safer or that it will always guarantee better mileage. Rather, to me, it is more important to have appropriate speeds for the situation based on the road conditions, weather, traffic, weight, etc.

Brad