Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #82
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

For example, truck tires are required to have a 15% safety margin built into them. To my knowledge, there is no such regulation for trailer tires.
I am not going to call this statement "Bogus" but I am going to call it incorrect, and a prime example of misinformation that has been and continues to be spread around this forum and others regarding "safety margin/reserve capacity".

Rather than continue to make this kind of unsubstantiated statement it would be great to be shown something that proves this besides some self professed tire experts interpretation of the following DOT ruling.

The true facts are contained in this document:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...dex.html#ref74

I refer you to section "D - Tire selection criteria/De-Rating of P metric tires". It may be a little long and difficult to understand for some, but it is the Automobile manufacturers responsibilty to ensure the rating on the tire exceeds the normal load capacity of the vehicle by the established percentage of 94% based on the vehicle manufacturers sticker load/pressure rating. Until this new ruling, the load reserve was based on the rating as stamped on the tire and resulted in an approx 15% reserve.

LT tires and ST tires are not comparable since they are designed for an entirely different purpose, they both are DOT rated and tested and must meet the standards for their application. An LT tire DOT rated for 3042 lbs is rated for exactly that, not 3042 lbs plus 15% reserve capacity or safety margin.

I for the umpteenth time remind everyone I am no tire expert but if I am wrong about this please, please show me the proof.
I'm merely repeating what the rep from Tredit told us at the rally. He said it is the result of the Ford/Firestone fiasco. In his words, it is not an advertised fact (I'm reading between his lines here: because they don't want the public to push the tires to that limit.) but the government told LT tire makers (he said nothing about passenger car tires, probably because we weren't discussing them, nor does Tredit supply them) to manufacture their tires with a 15% safety factor. If you want to correct him, I'll try to find his name and number, or you can come to next year's rally and call him out on it. Given his job, I'm pretty sure he an expert.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote