Thread: RV tires only
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #48
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
I recently upgraded to Sailun's a few weeks ago. I decided to go with the taller 85's profile tires instead of the original 80. I also upgraded the spare tire to the taller 85 profile; if not, the diameter of the spare would be different from the other tires. While it probably would still work, I decided not to risk it and change a 2 year old never used spare 80 profile tire to the taller 85 Sailun. My vanilla spare rim was rated for 110 PSI. Be prepared to use a hydraulic jack to mount the spare back up under the trailer - Holy cow that Sailun tire is heavy! My reasoning for going with the taller tire was to help level my trailer when on the truck. My truck sits tall in the rear and made my trailer sit a higher in the front. While the 85's only raised the trailer a little over 1/2", it was enough to make a difference - trailer looks level now with the truck. One challenge I did run into with the taller tire was rub on a wheel skirt. For some reason, my left side (big slide) tire skirt is offset more to the front of the wheels than on the right side (I suspect this for allowing more access space for the rear gray water dump valve via the front of the wheel skirt). When mounting the 85's, the rear left wheel rubbed the wheel skirt, so I trimmed the inside of wheel skirt (3/8" hardly noticeable). I'm really glad that I made this investment in quality tires; the trailer handles / rides much nicer and I have improved piece of mind when towing.