Thread: Hitch storage?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #24
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've been thinking some more about your question and I came up with a brain-storm idea. What you need, at home, is a cart on wheels that stands about 4 feet high.

Step 1. Park your fifth wheel trailer in place.

Step 2 Lower the front landing gear in preparation to unhitch, but don't unhitch.

Step 3 After the weight of the camper is off the hitch, unpin the fifth wheel hitch from the rails or floor of the pick-up truck.

Step 4 Now that the hitch is unpinned from the truck, raise the front of the camper with the front landing gear, lifting the hitch from the bed of the truck, dangling on the king pin.

Step 5 Pull the pick-up truck out from under the trailer, leaving the hitch dangling from the king pin.

Step 6 Take that 4 foot high cart on wheels and position it directly under the fifth wheel hitch.

Step 7 Lower the trailer (Landing gear), lowering the fifth wheel hitch onto that cart.

Step 8 Once the hitch is resting on the cart, release the hitch jaws.

Step 9 Now simply pull the cart with the fifth wheel hitch on top of it to a storage location.

Step 10 Level your fifth wheel and finish setting up at home.

To reattach back into the bed of the truck, reverse the process.

Well, that was my brainstorm idea if you don't have a wench and don't want to leave it dangling in outer space!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote