View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 04:39 AM   #49
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Next question- the bedroom slide has the cracked/broken plastic cover underneath. From searching this seems to be a fairly common issue that a dealer can fix for big dollars by pulling the slide out. I’m not interested in that, what has been the success rate of removing the plastic entirely and painting the plywood with a high quality exterior paint? Any other clever suggestions to fix this?
Columbo - Foldback provided a link to a solution that ChuckS devised for slides with fraying darco fabric using plastic strips. I don’t recall seeing a thread in this forum with ideas to repair slides with the plastic sheet bottom. I suppose if I was faced with this issue - I would first try to figure out how to secure the existing plastic sheet and stop it from further degeneration and cracking. I might try to cut straight line edges and get rid of the jagged edges, then glue the edges to the plywood. Seems like it would be difficult to remove 100% of it. Even if the plastic sheet is cut with straight edges and glued - my concern would be that if a section of edge lost contact and drooped - would it get hooked on something as it traveled out and break again. I think ChuckS strips would work well as the slide is retracted…I don’t know if they solve the problem for extending the slide.

The exposed plywood will need to be painted with a durable waterproof paint, because I think the plastic sheet functions as a vapor barrier. Just sitting here thinking about it - this one is tough. I do think that applying 4 or 5 strips of the plastic that ChuckS used will fix the issue for the slide function. Perhaps someone else here will have better advice for a fix.

Moderators - is there a way to move the broken plastic slide bottom issue to a new thread where it might get more hits and solutions?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote