Thread: Slides stop,
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Psomers is quite correct.

The training received from electrical engineer down to the repairman that works on electrical circuits all states the fuse / circuit breaker is provided to protect the wire.

Bottom line is a 30 amp fuse / circuit breaker is too small for the circuit involved.

Our trailer came with a 20 amp inline fuse. That didn’t last thru the first weekend.

The motor in the hydraulic system in our trailer doesn’t reach its maximum electrical draw until all slides have reached their limit of travel and stop moving. At that point the hydraulic pressure reaches the maximum pressure and opens a pressure relief valve. As long as your slides are moving the pump motor is not drawing the maximum amperage.

A properly designed electrical circuit will not protect the motor against heat buildup but will protect the wiring from heat produce by exceeding the wire capacity.

I replaced my remote receiver because the wired coming out of the potted unit was too small to carry the load. I replace it with a fuse block and installed fuses in each of the circuits that went thru the remote unit with fuses that protected the wire that provided power to each electrical appliance. I haven’t failed a fuse or motor in the 3 years since.

The wire that supplies the power to the hydraulic motor on my trailer is #4 and is rated for 60 amp. A 60 amp slow blow fuse would be acceptable regardless of the load at the end of the wire.

As for cost difference, something as low as $1.00 (example not real cost) to upgrade from Incandescent light bulbs to Led’s becomes a substantial cost increase when you figure there are a large number of bulbs in the trailer.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote