View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #14
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Go to a Fire dept. and have them comment on your gen install. You will be surprised at what they tell you. Just because an unregulated rv manufacturer installed something a certain way doesn't mean it`s safe. Yes I`ve seen this type of install on many motorhomes but they also tell you to install the exhaust extension kit available that takes your exhaust above the roof and puts it in the wind no matter how light if your going to be stationary for any length of time. Not using one is for when your moving down the road and you don`t need one. Did this get missed on orientation? Or did you have a fool as a salesmen and failed to inform you about the dangers of this. Making statements like this can put an unsuspecting newbie at risk just because they just don`t know. You would be surprised just how many people haven`t got a clue about anything, sorry past carrier showed me this and it`s scary.
If you read ANY install instructions for a permanent gen, gas furnace anything that produces CO2 it will not pass any governing bodies inspection if the exhaust is installed anywhere near a window, door, vent of any kind, breezeway or so many feet to a window or not run at least 4 `feet above the roof line. (In the wind). Might be for a reason. CO2 deaths are numerous, every year. But you do what you want.

FYI...FD Here. We don't inspect RV generators or review if they are installed correctly! Common sense tells you not to install these near doors and windows and vent them properly. I have seen hundreds of posts like this. Especially with the small gas generators and a diy project. No thanks, I let a professional engineer design the location and the factory installed it! I'm good but others can do what they please.
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote