Thread: Rebuilt steps
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The steps came out looking real nice. You did a good job.

I've been doing carpentry and wood-working all my life. I've remodeled (completely) 4 different houses we've lived in and probably a dozen different houses (or rooms in a house) for close relatives, churches, and friends, and I've done a lot, I mean a lot, of Polyurethane finishing.

Just for a future reference ... when applying Polyurethane, do not do it with a brush. Take a sheet of paper towel (Scott's shop towels, as they do not leave lint), fold it up and dip it into the Polyurethane can and then wipe the Polyurethane onto the wood surface with the paper shop towel. It will go on extremely thin and very, very smooth. It also will dry fast too. When dry, put on a second coat exactly the same way, with a shop towel (not a brush). You will find you never have to sand between coats as all the little bumps and air bubbles are not there. When done, it will be smooth as glass.

I've been doing it this way for years now. I never use brushes any more. (paint, now that's different). But for Polyurethane, this is the best way to do it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote