View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #14
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
You've got me motivated now, after I finish my coffee and change into some shorts I'm going to drag my Go Power solar panel kit up onto the roof and hook it into the solar receiver and then go check for voltage/amp changes to confirm they ran a second set of wires to the battery box. Was going to actually do that just prior to our first boondock trip but now I need to know.... If indeed this is the set up it's kind of a crazy set up if you ask me.... especially if one set of wires is a guage smaller.... WTF
In order to 'see' the solar, you need to disconnect the battery and turn off the converter. To use it in an ongoing way, it has to go thru a solar charge controller. It sounds like you are wanting to place a portable panel on your roof. That is very dangerous. If the wind picks up you could have a big problem. Also, one panel will do next to nothing for boondocking. I have the minimum setup with 4 Battle Born 100AH batteries and 4x170W of solar. I have been planning for several years and am sure this will work for our planned 5 days at a time boondocking but I also have a pair of Honda 2K inverter generators just in case. 6 panels would be much better.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote