Thread: Tire Spacing
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Can't remember what brand I bought recently, but when installing them I tried to get them snug but was concerned about too much pressure on the tires. I was thinking about putting stress on the axle/wheel assembly by pushing against them for prolonged periods and affecting the alignment.
Is that a valid concern? Obviously, you don't want to put TOO much pressure on them...I did lock the handle so they don't "grow legs" but unless you really put a LOT of pressure on them, you can just pull them out from between the tires anyway!
I crank ours down snug plus a little on one side and it does push the tires apart a little. Then on the other side I crank them down hard and it pushes those tires apart a little, too. That seems to tighten them on the other side, too.

Still, after the tires cool down I find they have loosened considerably. If I originally put them in right away after driving then after a few hours or next morning I find they're about to fall out so I crank them down again. I've not experienced any problems with this approach.

I'm probably getting them tighter than necessary. They really only need to be snug enough to stop any movement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote