View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 06:12 PM   #25
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
And that was a large part of the discussion. But for there to be a difference between the amount of current flowing in the hot pin and the amount of current flowing back out the neutral pin requires that the difference has to have “leaked” out of the circuit between the two. But current can’t leak out without a path back to the source, in this case the generator. And with no ground there is no path for that errant ground fault current to get back. So a difference can’t exist. Current must have a closed path back to the initial source to flow.
I’ve read this post several times in an effort to fully understand the terminology BB_TX is using or how the point being made is valid. For starters, I disagree with the above quoted statement in it’s totality. There seems to be a misunderstanding of the function of a GFCI and a circuit breaker. Current can “leak out” of a hot conductor without a return pathway to the generator, shore power, or whatever source. Overcurrent devices (breakers), AFCIs and GFCI’s handle dangerous electrical voltage in several different but key ways. Circuit breakers can be manufactured to perform more than one function i.e. open a circuit instantaneously in the case of a direct short circuit, open when current flow would cause wiring to overheat over time, open a circuit with the presence of arcing, and opening a circuit with detection of minute current losses capable of producing death but not enough to open a circuit with a full short to neutral or ground. Single purpose protection devices are found in our campers… GFCIs and circuit breakers. Circuit beakers require a clear pathway back to the neutral or ground to perform their intended function. A GFCI does not. I’m in agreement with post #5, i.e. a GFCI operates properly with or without a ground. It only monitors the relationship of the hot to neutral. Any discrepancy between the two causes a trip. Remove the ground wire from the GFCI and it still functions normally. The GFCI has no idea from what source power is being supplied… generator (with or without a neutral/ground jumper), shore power or inverter. The use of GFCI circuit breakers has long been a workaround fix for older homes that lacked grounded receptacles. The inexpensive 3 light (2 yellow and one red) plug in GFCI tester that many of those here on the forum have and use, DOES rely on a properly grounded GFCI outlet to create a leak pathway when the test button is pushed. IF…. a generator were to incorporate a GFCI as its primary source to an un-bonded camper, the GFCI would trip when the “hot” skin was touched whether or not the generator was bonded to the camper frame. The ground wire on the GFCI is there simply to provide a pathway for the circuit breaker to trip. GFCI outlets do not provide short circuit protection.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote