View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #27
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I’ve read this post several times in an effort to fully understand the terminology BB_TX is using or how the point being made is valid. For starters, I disagree with the above quoted statement in it’s totality. There seems to be a misunderstanding of the function of a GFCI and a circuit breaker. Current can “leak out” of a hot conductor without a return pathway to the generator, shore power, or whatever source. ………….
A very basic principle of electricity is that there must be a closed circuit to provide a path for current (electrons) to flow from the positive terminal of the power source to the negative terminal of that same power source. What goes out comes back in. Those electrons can not “leak” out without a path back to that power source. That defies that basic principle. You feel otherwise so please show me some technical source that validates your statement that it is possible. I would really like to know if that is in fact possible.

And yes I fully understand GFCI outlet. Yes, a GFCI outlet with no ground will supply power to the appliance plugged into it. No, the GFCI will not trip on a ground fault without some path back to the power source for the leakage current to travel to create the necessary imbalance. Those electrons can not leak into thin air.

NEC permits the use of GFCIs in older homes with no ground wiring. GFCIs are required in areas that may be exposed to wet conditions such as around sinks and faucets. Water in older homes comes from buried pipes. Pipes buried in the ground become earth ground just as a ground rod driven into the ground would. This provides the return path for a GFCI in an older home with no wired ground to trip on a ground fault.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote