View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #26
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Yes, you do in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
Anyone have any information about a Class A license here in Texas. I just upgraded from my Chevy 2500HD to a Chevy 3500HD. My Montana 3582RL is 12.6k empty and 16k gvwr.

So the way I read the rules then I'm required a Class A non-commercial license. Am I right or not.
You’re right. Your numbers look very much like ours. We have a GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW and the Montana High Country 362RD.

Depending on where you are, the wait to get that driving (skills) test could be long. To put it into perspective: we’re in Arlington and I drove to Wichita Falls to take the drive test sooner (actually, my Dad drove it...he was legal already). My husband was able to test locally, but barely met our 90 day time limit. We probably would not have been able to retest in time if we had not passed the first try because we didn't take the first test dates available.

I advise anyone considering the purchase of any GCWR over 26,001 lbs with the trailer weighing at least 10,000 lbs begin the test process immediately so you can do the drive test as soon as you have your rig. You won’t need the trailer for the written test day. You will have 90 days to complete the process. You get 3 tries on each test part (you cannot retry on the same day).

The dealer is unlikely to recommend getting the proper license (in our experience and estimation they either don't know, or don't want to scare off a potential buyer). Remember, they're not the ones getting ticketed if you get pulled over.

Big things to consider:
WRITTEN TEST DAY(S)
1. Begin the process as soon as you decide your rig will be GCWR > 26,000 lbs with the trailer weighing > 10,000 lbs. The written test must be taken and passed before they will allow you to schedule the driving portion.
2. The written test is pretty specific, but based mostly on 2 sections of the commercial driver handbook (available for free as a hard copy or online). Focus your time on sections 6 and 14. They break the written test into 2 parts (if you start a part before they close, you get to finish that part that day). You get 3 tries for each part of the test....but, you can't try a failed part again the same day. You would need to return another day.
3. It will be $11 when you first apply onsite to take the written test. They will take your photo the day of the first written test. PHOTO DAY, ladies, is DAY 1. Retakes are another $11. (I have "hat hair" and no make-up in my photo since I didn't realize this.)
4. Apparently you can test for either the "license" or "learners permit." Both have their strengths and weaknesses....both come with a time limit. The learners permit would have required practice time WITH a class A licensed driver before you CAN do the drive test and another fee upon doing the drive test (but at least you could take another photo ) We went straight for the license hoping for faster testing dates.

SKILLS/DRIVING TEST
5. Schedule the driving portion as soon as you can. While you get 90 days to complete the process, the scheduling can eat all of that time if you're not on top of things.

6. Get all your paperwork ready to go for the driving portion and walk in the door on the day of your test 1 hour early with the paperwork IN HAND (not in glove box and not a digital copy). You'll need to hand them the following before you can take the driving portion (you get your copies back):

a. proof of current tag (both truck and trailer)

b. proof of current insurance (at least the truck...[SIDE NOTE: We almost had to produce a document proving insurance on the trailer - but USAA doesn't automatically have that available and somehow we got through the test without it]

c. proof of current inspection (both truck and trailer)

ADDED: When you arrive, don't park your rig in the Commercial lanes in the Arlington (really Fort Worth) location. They look the most convenient, but if you get behind a truck and can't get out....you'll miss your test time (see the Fort Worth Mega Center google earth images to hopefully better understand what I mean). When we were there, we found plenty of consecutive unused parking on the west side of the building for a large rig. The back-up portion takes place in the fire lane behind the DMV (cars use the cured lanes....RV's use the fire lane only).

7. You must take the driving test on equipment that meets the criteria for a non-commercial class A. You can't borrow a friends smaller trailer (we asked at one test location, then it was confirmed at the next location when they used the vehicle specific data to add up the GCWR for our rig just before the driving test).

8. Big things to consider in the drive test: back up 100 feet (keep it inside of a standard lane, we backed straight at both testing locations; no curves)

9. Don't jump a curb (automatic failure), don't speed (automatic failure), don't skip stop signs..or go past them a little (automatic failure), know where you are in your lane, know where other people/cars are around you. Did I mention not to jump a curb (automatic failure). Don't speed (automatic failure). Don't do anything perceived as dangerous or negligent (automatic failure). Keep both hands on the wheel at all times UNLESS backing. Adjust all mirrors, etc. BEFORE starting the drive. Overall, the test was up and down a freeway and access road a couple of times. 20-30 minutes, under 10 miles. Nerve-wrecking silence during the drive, but actually not that hard if you're ready for turns, merges onto the highway, and backing straight. I'm glad I only had to do it once. The peace of mind is worth it.
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote