View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
When you have new tires installed.......

When you have new tires installed, make sure the guy behind the impact wrench knows what he is doing.

A while back I had new tires installed by a usually reputable outfit. Last week needed to put new brakes on. Though I know better, hadn't retorqued the lug nuts with a real pro high level, calibrated torque wrench. Phew, my bad. I needed my 18" breaker bar along with a 4 foot cheater and a good healthy lean on it to break those 16 lug nuts loose. In addition, one lug nut was cross threaded. I was able to clean the threads up enough to get that lug nut on and more or less torqued but have a new one ready to go on and am waiting an M14-1.5 die to chase the stud threads. This was the rear - the front wheels were removed and reassembled by a dealership a month ago when new hub bearings were installed but have to "assume" that they were not over tightened but new brakes go on the front nesxt week so, time will tell.

No way could one of those wheels been removed along the road, even with the usual long breaker bar I carry and the Ford supplied tool would havve failed
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote