View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedinobots View Post
Oil changes are really so simple, any reputable dealer or diesel shop should do a perfectly fine job and I wouldn’t worry about needing to feel like I have a trusted tech doing it. For more major services sure, but an oil change, not a big deal. I’d do it in LA.
You would think!
I’ve always done my own maintenance, but a few years ago after just completing cancer treatments. My wife’s car needed an oil change and I was way to weak to even think about doing it myself. Her car used an uncommon oil spec that I figured that most quick lube places wouldn’t have but I knew that PepBoys did. So, I accompanied her to the store and shuffled my way in with my new best friend “the walker”. I could clearly see our car from the waiting area and got nervous when the “mechanic” kept going back and forth to his tool box. I knew something was wrong when he grabbed a hammer! I immediately went to the service manager and asked what’s going on. He told me that they had messed up the drain plug trying to remove it but not to worry as they were going to get a new one off the shelf. Anyway they got the oil changed and said all was good. NOT��. When it came time for its next oil change I put the car up on my lift and spent the next thirty minutes trying to remove the mangled up drain plug that they supposedly replaced!
So apparently not just anyone can do an oil change!!